(Family Features) Reimagining taco night can be as simple as a new protein swap.
Spice up your favorite taco dishes by making walnuts the star ingredient. Nutty and full of flavor, “walnut meat” turns taco recipes into plant-forward options. Try these Walnut-Stuffed Korean Street Tacos and Walnut “Chorizo” Tacos for a tasty and nutritious meal, loaded with all the goodness of California walnuts.
It’s easier than ever to do more with California Walnuts. Discover more recipes at walnuts.org .
Walnut “Chorizo” Tacos
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, t0-hinly sliced
Walnut Chorizo Crumble:
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups California walnuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 16 whole wheat tortillas
- olive oil
- thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- fresh cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
- To make pickled vegetables: In small bowl, stir lime juice, sugar and sea salt. Stir in radishes, jalapenos and garlic slices; let stand 30 minutes to pickle.
- To make walnut “chorizo” crumble: In food processor, pulse beans and walnuts until coarsely chopped. Add 2 tablespoons oil, white vinegar, paprika, chili powder, oregano, salt, chipotle, cumin and coriander; pulse until mixture is finely chopped and resembles ground meat, stirring several times and moving mixture from bottom of food processor bowl to top to evenly mix.
- In large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat remaining oil. Add “chorizo” mixture and cook 10 minutes, or until mixture is browned and resembles ground meat, stirring frequently.
- To prepare tacos: Brush each tortilla lightly with oil. On skillet over medium-high heat, cook briefly to brown on both sides, keeping warm in foil until all tortillas are cooked.
- Remove pickled vegetables from liquid and discard garlic slices. Fill each tortilla with equal amounts “chorizo” and pickled vegetables. Garnish with lettuce and cilantro; serve with lime wedges.
Walnut-Stuffed Korean Street Tacos
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups California walnuts
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (red chili paste) sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 green onions
- ice water
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 English cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 watermelon radish, sliced thin
- 1 cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
- fresh cayenne peppers, sliced thin (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 fresh limes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup California walnuts
- To make walnut “meat”: In food processor, pulse walnuts to coarsely chop. In skillet over medium heat, add gochujang sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Add walnuts and stir. Turn to low heat, cover and keep warm.
- To make vegetables: Cut whites off green onions and discard. Slice greens into thin strips and place in bowl of ice water. In bowl, stir vinegar and honey. Add cucumber; radish; carrots; peppers, if desired; and sesame seeds. Stir to combine.
- To make crema: Mix yogurt with chili sauce and salt.
- Warm tortillas. Scoop 1/8 walnut meat into each tortilla. Spoon cream on top of walnut meat. Add marinated vegetables and green onions.
- Top tacos with cilantro, squeeze of lime juice and walnuts.
- Florida Man Caught On Camera Having “Horseplay’ With A Miniature Horse
- FBI Offering $15,000 Reward In Murder Of Florida Teen Nykeria Simmons
- Study: Florida Gov. DeSantis Ended Biden’s COVID Handouts, And “Kicked The Economy Into Overdrive”
- Sheriff Seeking Murder Suspect In Killing Of 74-Year-Old Florida Woman
- Marine Jailed After Criticizing Military Leaders For Afghanistan Withdrawal Found Guilty Of All Charges
- Walmart Goes “Woke” Pushing CRT, Telling White Cashiers And Shelf-Stockers That They Are The Privileged Members Of ‘White Supremacy System’
Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. It’s Free And Coming To Apple Users Soon