As the Sept. 8 deadline looms for public comment on the proposed rule change regarding handgun stabilizing arm braces, the Second Amendment Foundation has launched an ambitious effort to encourage and guide gun owners to submit comments to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
Read SAF’s comments here.
“Time is running out and we want to provide millions of targeted gun owners the means to weigh in on this alarming proposal,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “ATF wants to reclassify millions of stabilizing brace-equipped pistols by making them subject to the National Firearms Act. If that happens, current owners of such pistols would need to register their guns and pay a $200 tax on each one, or turn it in to the ATF, or take one of several other undesirable options.”
SAF has produced a video message about this proposal, and offers these suggestions on how gun owners should submit their comments:
- You can submit your comments to ATF via the Federal eRulemaking portal at: www.regulations.gov here on or before September 8, 2021.
- Your comment must reference docket number “ATF 2021R–08”
- Your comments should be original. ATF will not consider duplicate comments. See Commenter’s Checklist here if you want more information about commenting.
- Your comments should be professional in tone. ATF will not consider comments with profanity or other inappropriate content.
- Better comments describe how the proposed rule would impact the commenter.
- You can also mail written comments to:
Denise Brown, Mail Stop 6N– 518 Office of Regulatory Affairs Enforcement Programs and Services
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
99 New York Ave. NE
Washington, DC 20226
ATTN: ATF 2021R-08
Mailed comments should be in 12-point font size (.17 inches) or larger, include the commenter’s first and last name and full mailing address, be signed, and may be of any length. ATF will treat comments postmarked on or before September 8, 2021, as timely.
“We cannot overemphasize the urgency here,” Gottlieb said. “Gun owners need to submit their comments now. This is just one more manifestation of the Biden administration’s effort to crack down on gun owners and the Second Amendment.”
Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. It’s Free And Coming To Apple Users Soon