brooksville home frire saturday hernando county florida

Brooksville Home Damaged By Fire Saturday

BROOKSVILLE, Fla. – A home in Brooksville was damaged by fire Saturday afternoon.

At 2:05 p.m. Hernando County Fire and Emergency Services (HCFES) and Brooksville Fire Department (BFD) responded to a residential fire at the 900 block of Twigg St.  HCFES and BFD arrived on scene and found heavy smoke and fire from the rear of the home. Crews initiated a fire attack and made a quick extinguishment of the fire.  There were several occupants who lived in the structure who were not injured. 

The fire started while the occupant was cooking.  A towel by the stove caught fire, which she extinguished.  She placed the towel in the laundry, which reignited and caught the clothes in the laundry room on fire.

brooksville home frire saturday hernando county florida

The fire was completely under control at 2:29 p.m. The fire caused extensive damage to the home.  A dog was rescued from the home, and a firefighter was transported to the hospital for evaluation for heat exhaustion.

There were no working smoke detectors in the home.

HCFES responded with 2 fire engines, 2 ALS medic units, 2 Battalion Chief, 1 Ladder and Fire Corps for a total of 15 personnel.

HCFES would like to remind the community to change smoke detector batteries twice a year and conduct a routine fire risk assessments on your homes. Be cautious when cooking and keep flammable items away from the stove.

Publishers Note: While The Free Press will always be free for our readers, and ad-supported, we are asking our loyal readers to consider a monthly donation of $3 to maintain our local journalism and help us grow, as we ramp up ad sales locally.
You can click here to support us.
We thank you all for your consideration and for supporting local journalism.


Login To Facebook From Your Browser To Leave A Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *