Florida gas prices declined a penny last week, but strong upward pressure remains on prices at the pump.
The average price for gasoline set a new 2022 high of $3.47 per gallon on Wednesday. That is the most expensive daily average since July 2014. From there, the state average gradually slipped lower through the weekend. Sunday’s state average was $3.46 per gallon.
“Pump prices moved slightly lower into the weekend, but don’t be surprised if they increase again in the near future,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “Oil prices set new 2022 highs on Friday, amid concerns over how a potential Russian invasion of Ukraine could result in sanctions on Russian oil that could make the oil market even tighter than it currently is.”
The U.S. price of oil settled at $93.10 per barrel on Friday.
That was almost $1 more than the week before, and the most expensive daily oil price since September 2014. U.S. oil prices have now increased 22%, so far this year.
Seven percent of that increase occurred in the past two weeks. So far, Florida pump prices have not responded to that hike, which was the equivalent of about 15 cents per gallon.
Fuel Price Overview
- Sunday’s Florida Avg. – $3.46 per gallon
- 2022 High – $3.47 per gallon
- Highest Since – July 2014
- Avg. Cost for a Fill-Up – $52
- 2021 High – $3.36 per gallon
- 2022 U.S. Oil Price High – $93.10 per barrel
- Highest since September 2014
- 2021 U.S. Oil Price High – $84.65 per barrel
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($3.60), Gainesville ($3.51), Fort Lauderdale ($3.49)
- Least expensive metro markets – Punta Gorda ($3.40), Panama City ($3.40), Melbourne-Titusville ($3.40)
Ways to Save on Gasoline
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Consider paying cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 5 cents per gallon when they fill up at Shell. Click here for more information.
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
|AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES|
(Price per gallon of regular unleaded gasoline)
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|