Today, Governor Ron DeSantis gave an update on state preparation efforts ahead of Tropical Storm Nicole and urged Floridians to listen to local emergency management officials for updates related to their counties.
There are currently 16,000 linemen staged to respond to power outages following the storm in addition to 600 guardsmen that have been activated, and 7 Urban Search and Rescue teams on standby to deploy following the storm. Governor DeSantis also signed an executive order, expanding the number of counties under the State of Emergency to 45 counties, now including Alachua, Bradford, Dixie, Gilchrist, Hernando, Jefferson, Levy, Marion, Pinellas, Taylor, and Wakulla counties.
Preparation efforts for Tropical Storm Nicole are in addition to the ongoing recovery effort for Hurricane Ian.
As of the 1:00 PM National Hurricane Center update, Tropical Storm Nicole was located 185 miles east of West Palm Beach, Florida with maximum sustained winds of 70mph and moving west at 12mph. Currently, Nicole is forecast to reach hurricane strength later today.
Floridians are reminded to prepare for an increased risk of coastal and river flooding, rainfall, heavy winds, tornadoes, rip currents, and beach erosion.
The following Watches and Warnings are in effect:
- Hurricane Warning: Brevard, Indian River, Martin, coastal Palm Beach, St. Lucie and coastal Volusia counties.
- Hurricane Watch: Broward and inland Palm Beach
- Tropical Storm Warning: Alachua, Bradford, Broward, Charlotte, Citrus, Clay, DeSoto, Dixie, Duval, Flagler, Franklin, Gadsden, Gilchrist, Glades, Hardee, Hernando, Hendry, Highlands, Hillsborough, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lake, Lee, Leon, Levy, Liberty, Madison, Manatee, Marion, Nassau, Okeechobee, Orange, Osceola, Palm Beach, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Putnam, Sarasota, Seminole, St. Johns, Sumter, Taylor, Volusia and Wakulla counties.
- Tropical Storm Watch: Baker, Columbia, Hamilton, Suwanee and Union counties.
- Storm Surge Warning: Brevard, Citrus, Clay, Dixie, Duval, Flagler, Hernando, Indian River, Jefferson, Levy, Martin, Nassau, Palm Beach, Pasco, Putnam, St. Johns, St. Lucie, Taylor, Volusia and Wakulla counties.
- Storm Surge Watch: Broward and Franklin counties.
- Flood Watch: Brevard, Broward, Clay, DeSoto, Duval, Flagler, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Highlands, Indian River, Lake, Marion, Martin, Miami-Dade, Nassau, Okeechobee, Orange, Osceola, Palm Beach, Polk, Putnam, Seminole, St. Johns, St. Lucie, Sumter and Volusia counties.
Visit Tampafp.com for Politics, Sports, and National Headlines. Support journalism by clicking here to our GiveSendGo or sign up for our free newsletter by clicking here.
Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. Follow Us On Facebook Here Or Twitter Here.
Login To Facebook From Your Browser To Leave A Comment