A Michigan man recently walked out of a bar $45,000 richer than when he went in.
Yet he never saw a penny of it.
He died before he could collect.
Gregory Jarvis, a 57-year-old from Caseville, Michigan, hit the jackpot in Club Keno, a state lottery game, on Sept. 13, according to local media. He bought the ticket at a bar called the Blue Water Inn, where he was a regular.
When he tried to cash the ticket, Jarvis was told that he needed a better Social Security card to collect. People who win more than $600 in Michigan lotteries must present a Social Security card and photo ID.
Jarvis apparently didn’t have a Social Security card that was in good shape.
He applied for a new card and was waiting for it to arrive. About a week later, he returned to the bar and bought the house a round of drinks – still holding onto the lottery ticket.
Jarvis left the bar that night and that was the last time anyone saw him alive.
Bar staff, his employer, and friends became concerned when he didn’t show up as expected after a few days, either at work or at the Blue Water Inn.
On Sept. 24, Jarvis’ body washed ashore on a private beach in Saginaw Bay.
“We are thinking that he was tying up his boat, slipped and fell, hit his head, and that’s where he ended up in the water, no foul play suspected,” Caseville Police Chief Kyle Romzek told the media. An autopsy confirmed the chief’s report.
A friend told local media that Jarvis planned to spend some of his winnings on a trip to North Carolina to visit relatives. His family now has his ticket.
- A Message From Florida’s New Public Health Chief: The State Will ‘Completely Reject Fear As A Way Of Making Policies In Public Health’
- EXCLUSIVE: Jailed Marine Who Demanded Accountability Offered To Resign Under Honorable Conditions And Was Rejected
- Florida Gov. DeSantis Announces Actions Against Developers Associated with Hilltop Village in Jacksonville
- Florida Man ‘Pulls A Tyson’ Bites Off Friends Ear After Transporting Drunk Woman In Wheel Barrel
- You’ve Gotta Be Nuts! Florida Man Submits To Voluntary At-Home Castration, Would-Be Urologist Gets 3 Years
- Florida Man Sticks His Hand In A Jaguar Cage At The Zoo, Jaguar 1 – Florida Man 0
Support journalism by clicking here to our GoFundMe or sign up for our free newsletter by clicking here
Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. It’s Free And Coming To Apple Users Soon.
One Reply to “Michigan Lottery Winner Dies Before Spending His Jackpot”
Think about this next time you spend good money on Florida’s lotto.