Florida gas prices are still declining, but may not fall as far as originally projected, after oil prices regained strength last week.
Two weeks ago, AAA began calling for a potential discount of 20-30 cents at the pump, after oil prices plummeted 16% after Thanksgiving.
The crude price drop was based on concerns about the severity of the emerging omicron variant and whether it would potentially impact global economic growth and limit mobility.
However, about half of that price drop was erased last week as omicron concerns seemed to ease. After falling from $78 per barrel down to $65 two weeks ago, the price of crude settled back up at $71.67 on Friday.
Despite the increase, oil prices are still lower than they were two weeks ago, and pump prices have still not yet fully adjusted.
“After plunging two weeks ago, the crude market regained strength last week,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “As a result, that 20-30 cent drop we were anticipating, could be more like 10-20 cents. Oil prices remain the main drivers of prices at the pump. So if oil prices increase again this week, drivers will again need to adjust their expectations.”
Pump prices are slowly declining. The state average slipped 3 cents last week and a total of 10 cents in the past 23 days. Florida drivers are now paying an average price of $3.27 per gallon – the lowest daily average price since mid-November.
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($3.44), Naples ($3.35), Fort Lauderdale ($3.33)
- Least expensive metro markets – Crestview-Fort Walton Beach ($3.14), The Villages ($3.16), Punta Gorda ($3.17)
Ways to Save on Gasoline
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Consider paying cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
- Ensure your vehicle is properly maintained. An engine tune-up, new air filter and proper tire inflation can all help fuel economy. Visit AAA.com/AutoRepair to find a AAA Approved Auto Repair facility near you.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 5 cents per gallon when they fill up at Shell. Click here for more information.
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
|AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES|
(Price per gallon of regular unleaded gasoline)
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|
Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. It’s Free And Coming To Apple Users Soon.