Polk County Deputies say they recovered an SUV submerged in a pond with the body of a missing Pasco County man inside.
The Polk County Sheriff’s Office said Jose Mercado, 39, Zephyrhills, was reported missing by his family around 1 p.m. on Thursday, telling investigators he had left a residence around 1 a.m. to go home, but never arrived.
Investigators say that one of Mercado’s relatives checked the location of his phone, which showed it was near the intersection of Moore Road and Deen Still Road in the Polk City area.
According to deputies, when the family went to that location, they said they found evidence of a possible crash and contacted the sheriff’s office.
Investigators responded and launched a drone, which spotted what appeared to be a submerged vehicle in the pond.
The sheriff’s office Underwater Search and Recovery Team was brought in and removed the SUV from the water.
Investigators said Mercado’s body was found inside of the black 2013 Dodge Durango.
According to the sheriff’s office, evidence at the scene showed that the SUV had been traveling north on Moore Road at a high rate of speed and failed to stop at the intersection of Deen Still Road, where Moore Road ends.
That’s where they said Mercado’s Durango went over an embankment and began to topple end-over-end before landing in the pond.
The sheriff’s office said Mercado was not wearing a seat belt.
The investigation into the crash is ongoing and we will update this story if further details are released.
- Two More Human Smugglers Arrested By Florida Highway Patrol, Illegal Immigrants Sent To Border Patrol
- Tunnel To Towers Foundation Pays Off Home Mortgage Of Florida Gold Star Family
- Trucking, Retail Groups Sue Biden Over Vaccine Mandate
- 1,300 Afghan Kids Were Brought To The US Without Their Parents
- Tampa Holiday Tradition Winter Village Returns With Outdoor Ice Rink And Tampa Bay Lightning Themed Fun
- Bret Michaels In Concert With Warrant, First Public Appearance In Florida In Two Years
Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. It’s Free And Coming To Apple Users Soon