As supporters of former President Donald Trump and Gov. Ron DeSantis wait for formal decisions about whether they will run for the White House in 2024, Trump and polling, make the case that he is still the one.
Trump, issued an “in case you missed it” email Monday through his Save America PAC that said, “Republican voters continue to view Trump as the party’s leader.”
The email directed readers to a USA Today/Ipsos poll that found 59 percent of 800 Republican voters said Trump should get the Republican nomination in 2024. The other 41 percent said the party needs change.
That compares to just 44 percent of Democrats who think incumbent President Joe Biden should be their party’s choice in two years.
Digging into the results, the pollsters noted that among Republicans 90 percent think Trump will use “all tools” at his disposal to get things done. Another 87 percent say he fights for the people he represents, while 86 percent believe he battles woke corporations and Cancel Culture.
Ipsos/USA Today added, “Regardless of who will be at the top of the ticket in 2024, these voters say the most important trait for the Republican nominee is someone who will stand up for the freedom and dignity of all Americans.”
The poll found that 82 percent of respondents say that applies to Trump. That same number also believes he can win the next presidential contest.
Trump’s strongest support comes from the people Democrats have largely abandoned, as shown by Biden’s bailout of college-loan borrowers who make up to $125,000 a year.
Overall, 69 percent of voters with a household income of less than $50,000, and 66 percent of respondents without a college degree believe Trump should run in 2024.
Meanwhile, according to the poll, “Democrats are not as confident in Biden as Republicans are in Trump, though a majority still think Biden can win.” Overall, 60 percent of Democratic voters think he can win the next presidential election – fully 22 points fewer than what Republicans think about Trump.
Moreover, the poll noted, “At the same time, a majority (56%) of Democratic voters believe it’s time for a change within the party and President Biden should not run for re-election in 2024.”
The poll also found that among all respondents, regardless of party, Trump and Biden each have a 43 percent approval rating among voters.
Taking a question Tuesday from the audience during an appearance in Live Oak, DeSantis continued to dismiss reports about him running for president as “the media just speculating.” Trump’s endorsement gave DeSantis a huge boost as he won the 2018 gubernatorial election.
“I mean, I’ve got a lot on my plate here. And we’re doing a lot of stuff,” DeSantis, who is running for re-election in November, said. “So, I would not indulge in some of the stuff, and be very careful about what you hear.”
Visit Tampafp.com for Politics, Tampa Area Local News, Sports, and National Headlines. Support journalism by clicking here to our GiveSendGo or sign up for our free newsletter by clicking here.
Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. Follow Us On Facebook Here Or Twitter Here.
Copyright 2022 The Free Press, LLC, tampafp.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Login To Facebook From Your Browser To Leave A Comment