‘Unsupervised’ Candle Leads To Apartment Fire In Lakeland

LAKELAND, FL. – A burning candle caused a mass of destruction at a Lakeland Apartment building on Monday.

At approximately 5:00 PM on Aug. 2, Lakeland Fire Department (LFD) responded to a call for a building fire located at Sutton Place Apartments at 3150 Pyramid Pkwy.

Upon arrival, crews observed smoke and flames from an apartment window.

Fire crews made entry to the building and battled fire and dense smoke. The fire was brought under control within 15 minutes. One apartment sustained significant fire damage; an additional apartment sustained minor smoke damage.

Officials say that American Red Cross was called to assist displaced tenants.

Responding to the scene included 9 LFD units, 1 Polk County Fire Rescue (PCFR) Medic Unit, and patrol units from Lakeland Police Department (LPD). No firefighter injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire was determined accidental due to an ‘unsupervised’ candle.

“This unfortunate event serves as a reminder of the importance of fire & candle safety,” said Lakeland Fire Department in a statement.

Support journalism by clicking here to our gofundme or sign up for our free newsletter by clicking here

Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. It’s Free And Coming To Apple Users Soon


Login To Facebook From Your Browser To Leave A Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *