The White House downplayed surging energy prices in the U.S. and worldwide on Wednesday, arguing that the climate crisis was more important.
“Certainly, we all want to keep gasoline prices low, but the threat of the crisis — the climate crisis — certainly can’t wait any longer,” White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters Wednesday.
She added that President Joe Biden believes climate change presents “one of the greatest national security crises” facing the U.S., suggesting that higher prices were a necessary consequence of the fight against global warming.
Both the U.S. and international benchmarks for crude oil briefly touched multi-year highs this week and remain elevated after the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and its Russian counterpart opted not to increase production. Natural gas prices also surged to their highest level in more than a decade while volatility hit an all-time high.
Oil and natural gas both account for the vast majority of U.S. energy produced, according to the Energy Information Administration.
But some experts have blamed the rapid shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy investment for the increasing prices and borderline global energy crisis, The New York Times reported.
“The energy transition is not being handled properly,” OPEC Secretary-General Mohammad Barkindo said at a conference Wednesday, according to Bloomberg. “And hence we are beginning to see the fall-out.”
Psaki said the White House hoped high energy prices would not convince leadership from Europe and Asia to approach the November conference with more concerns about cost than climate.
- Florida Sheriff Offers ‘Staycation’ For Whoever Lost 770 Pounds Of Marijuana
- “I Would Have Shot Him” Florida Man, 90, Punches Neighbor In The Face Twice Gets Arrested
- Florida Road Ranger Airlifted After Fiery I-75 Crash Involving Frozen Food Truck
- As Florida Appeals Court Tosses Mask-Mandate Lawsuit, Gov. DeSantis’ Office Notes The ‘Reality’ For School Masks
- Florida Teen Arrested In Homicide Of 16-Year-Old
- 77-Year-Old Florida Woman Killed When Front End Loader Reverses Over Her Car
- “Holy Sh*t” Woman Shoves Another Woman Into Moving NYC Subway Train, Caught On Video
- Group Representing Nation’s School Boards Asks Biden To Dispatch Federal Authorities On Parents Who Object To Left-Wing Education Practices
- Florida Man ‘Pulls A Tyson’ Bites Off Friends Ear After Transporting Drunk Woman In Wheel Barrel
Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. It’s Free And Coming To Apple Users Soon