It was probably inevitable, but the Gotham City Cancel Culture finally came for Thomas Jefferson.
The New York Post reported on Wednesday that, under Mayor Bill de Blasio’s advocacy, a statue of one of America’s preeminent Founding Fathers will be removed from the City Council Chambers inside City Hall.
The Jefferson statue has resided at the site for 187 years. According to the Post, Uriah Phillips Levy, a U.S. Navy officer, presented the monument to the city in 1834.
The ahistorical liberals who run America’s largest city intend to lend the statue to the New York Historical Society. A Democratic city councilman told the Post the loan was “indefinite,” meaning Jefferson is most likely banished from City Hall for good.
And in the style of true left-wing potentates, de Blasio’s appointees to the Public Design Commission, which oversees public art, listed the removal of the statue under the “consent” items on the agenda for its meeting on Monday, the Post reported.
In such cases, the consent agenda is a block of items considered with a single vote. No public comment is allowed on those items.
The author of the Declaration of Independence had to go because he didn’t hold the views prevalent among today’s liberals.
A Democratic city councilman cited the Virginian’s racism, ownership of slaves, and treatment of his family as the reason why Jefferson is out after 187 years.
But it’s not exactly a surprise.
In June 2020, right after the death of George Floyd and the ensuing riots, de Blasio put his wife, who is black, in charge of the city’s Commission on Racial Justice and Reconciliation. Subsequently, canceling Jefferson’s statue was a priority for that group.
The Post noted that Jefferson’s image will be gone by the time the
City Council gathers again on Oct. 21.
Republican Councilman Joe Borelli blasted the mayor for permitting this.
“The de Blasio administration will continue the progressive war on history as he, himself, fades away into a portrait on a City Hall wall. I hope he is at least gone a couple of hundred years before someone cancels him,” he told the Post.
- Study: Florida Gov. DeSantis Ended Biden’s COVID Handouts, And “Kicked The Economy Into Overdrive”
- Florida Man Sentenced To Life For Brutal Murder Of Shyeanne Lewis
- Florida Education Commissioner Urges Biden Admin To Quit Illegally Meddling In State COVID Policies For Schools
- High School Student Arrested For Refusing To Wear A Mask At School
- Florida Mom Calls For ‘Mass Exodus’ From Public Schools To Fight Indoctrination
- ‘My Agent Called’: Viral Kamala Harris Space Video Featured Child Actors
- Biden Climate Pact Hobbles US Manufacturing And Agriculture But Gives China, India, Russia A Pass
Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. It’s Free And Coming To Apple Users Soon