DADE CITY, Fla. – At 7:23 p.m. Hernando County Fire and Emergency Services (HCFES) responded to a residential fire at the 4000 block of Pocahontas Dr.
HCFES arrived on scene and found heavy smoke from the roof and eves of the manufactured home. Fire crews advanced a hose stream and extinguished the fire while simultaneously rescuing the family dog.
The fire was completely under control at 08:08 p.m. The fire caused severe damage to the mobile home resulting in a total loss. The origin of the fire was caused by an unattended pot of oil on the stove. The oil caught fire and quickly spread into the cabinets and attic space.
The two occupants escaped the structure and attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose without success. There were no injuries to the occupants or the family dog. The Red Cross was notified to assist the displaced occupants.
HCFES responded with 3 fire engines, 1 water tender, 2 ALS medic units, Fire Corps, and 2 Battalion Chiefs for a total of 16 personnel.
OTHER NEWS: Hernando County Deputy Helps Save Woman in Medical Crisis