LARGO, Fla. – Hospital staff and about 19 patients at HCA Florida Largo Hospital were evacuated to other rooms after a fire started in a patient’s room on the third floor Sunday night.
According to officials, at approximately 8:07 PM, Largo Fire Rescue units were dispatched to a fire alarm at HCA Florida Largo Hospital at 201 14th ST SW. The incident was upgraded to a structure fire response.
Upon arrival, crews found fire sprinklers activated on the third floor and what appears to have been an extinguished fire contained to a room on the third floor.
In the news: Sarasota County Sheriff Investigating Shooting On Ferguson Street
Largo Fire District Chief, Kyle Lighthiser, said, ‘Preliminary investigation shows that a paper towel dispenser possibly overloaded with some batteries, and because again paper towels are highly flammable, it overheated the paper towels inside, started to drip molten plastic down onto the table that they had tissue paper and towels on and then it extended to the wall from there. It was contained at the height of about midway up the wall.”
All occupants and staff of the hospital were evacuated, and no injuries were reported.
We can’t do this without your help; visit our GiveSendGo page and donate any dollar amount; every penny helps.