HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. – Hillsborough County has issued a mandatory evacuation order for Evacuation Zone A, as well as those in mobile and manufactured homes and residents in low-lying areas prone to flooding, beginning at 2 p.m. today, Monday, Aug. 28.
The County will open two shelters at 2 p.m. today, Monday, Aug. 28. Residents are urged to use shelters as a last resort and contact friends and family as a first option.
General Population Shelter opening at 2 p.m. today:
- Hillsborough Community College at The Regent, 6437 Watson Rd., Riverview, FL 33578
Special Needs Shelter opening at 2 p.m. today:
- Erwin Technical, 2010 E. Hillsborough Ave., Tampa, FL 33610 (Pet-friendly)
The County will open eight additional shelters at 4 p.m. today, Monday, Aug. 28. Please don’t arrive before 4 p.m. to these shelters. They are scheduled to open at 4 p.m.
General Population Shelters opening at 4 p.m. today:
- Lockhart Elementary Magnet School, 3719 N. 17th St., Tampa, FL 33610
- Middelton High School, 4801 N. 22nd St., Tampa, FL 33610 (Pet-friendly)
- Newsome High School, 16550 Fishhawk Blvd., Lithia, FL 33547
- Pizzo Elementary, 11701 USF Bull Run, Tampa, FL 33620
- Reddick Elementary, 325 West Lake Dr., Wimauma, FL 33598
- Shields Middle School, 15732 Beth Shields Way, Ruskin, FL 33573 (Pet-friendly)
- Steinbrenner High School, 5575 W. Lutz Lake Fern Rd., Lutz, FL 33558 (Pet-friendly)
- Sgt. Paul R. Smith Middle School, 14303 Citrus Pointe Dr., Tampa, FL 33625
The special needs shelters are only for residents with medical issues that require electricity assistance or who have cognitive issues that would not be supported in a general population shelter.
Residents bringing pets to the pet-friendly shelters need to bring a sturdy carrier for each pet that allows room for the pet to stand up and move around, as well as a collar with a leash and supplies for each pet to last seven days. More information on how residents can prepare their pets can be found here.
Residents are urged not to evacuate to hospitals, as they are not shelters.
We can’t do this without your help; visit our GiveSendGo page and donate any dollar amount; every penny helps