August 23, 2020
By: Staff Report
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. – CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST UPDATE. Tropical storm conditions are expected across portions of the Dominican Republic and Haiti, the Turks and Caicos, the southeastern Bahamas, and Cuba through Monday. Heavy rainfall is likely across these areas and could cause mudslides and flash and urban flooding.
Tropical storm conditions are possible in the central Bahamas and Andros Island tonight and Monday, and in the Florida Keys on Monday.
The details of the long-range track and intensity forecasts remain uncertain since Laura is forecast to move near or over portions of the Greater Antilles through Monday. However, Laura is forecast to strengthen over the Gulf of Mexico and could bring storm surge, rainfall, and wind impacts to portions of the U.S. Gulf Coast by the middle of next week. This could result in a prolonged period of hazardous weather for areas that are likely to be affected by Tropical Storm Marco earlier in the week. Interests there should monitor the progress of Laura and Marco and updates to the forecast during the next few days.
SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
- The northern coast of the Dominican Republic from Cabo Engano to
the border with Haiti
- The southern coast of the Dominican Republic from Cabo Engano to
- The northern coast of Haiti from Le Mole St. Nicholas to the
border with the Dominican Republic
- The southeastern Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands
- Cuban provinces of Camaguey, Las Tunas, Holguin, Guantanamo,
Santiago de Cuba, Granma, Ciego De Avila, Sancti Spiritus, Villa
Clara, Cienfuegos, Matanzas, Mayabeque, La Habana, and Artemisa
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for:
- The central Bahamas
- Andros Island
- Florida Keys from Ocean Reef to Key West and the Dry Tortugas
- Florida Bay
- Cuban province of Pinar Del Rio