SARASOTA, Fla. – Officers with the Sarasota Police Department Traffic Unit are investigating two fatal traffic crashes.
The first one happened Friday, April 30, 2021, and the second one happened Sunday, May 2, 2021.
On Friday, April 30, 2021, at about 6:45 a.m., a 4-door sedan-type vehicle was traveling on South Tamiami Trail and was attempting to turn onto Bee Ridge Road. The vehicle turned in front of a motorcycle that was traveling on South Tamiami Trail.
The motorcycle rider, an adult male, age 29 of Sarasota, died as a result of injuries he sustained in the crash. He was not wearing a helmet.
On Sunday, May 2, 2021, at about noon, a pedestrian, an adult male, age 57, of Sarasota, was crossing U.S. 301 near 21st Street, not in a crosswalk, when he was struck by a truck.
The pedestrian died as a result of injuries he sustained in the crash. Both crashes remain under investigation by the Sarasota Police Department Traffic Unit.
Sarasota Police officers want to remind drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists to stay alert and drive safely. A few safety reminders:
- Obey all traffic laws. If no sidewalks are present, walk against the direction of traffic so you can see oncoming vehicles.
- Always use the crosswalk. Push the button to get the walk signal to cross safely.
- Be visible. Wear bright, reflective clothing and safety accessories.
- Avoid distractions while driving. Focus on the road.
- Pass bicyclists safely. Allow at least three feet between your vehicle and a bicyclist.
- Slow down. Speed is a major cause of all fatal crashes.
- Buckle up.
- Always wear a helmet. Ride in the same direction of traffic on the street.
- Obey all traffic signs, signals, and lane markings.
- Yield to traffic when appropriate. It’s better to yield than “be in the right” and risk injury.
- Be visible. Position yourself in the lane so others can easily see you.
- Always use a headlight and a taillight at night.