American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten shared an article that claimed parents do not have a right to shape what their children learn in school.
“Great piece on parents’ rights and #publicschools,” Weingarten commented on the article by The Washington Post. The piece describes movements by parents to influence what schools teach their children as “paranoid” and a “frenzy,” and it characterizes parental involvement as an obstacle of sorts to children “[thinking] for themselves.”
The piece calls resistance to critical race theory a “white racial grievance.” It also suggests that parents unhappy with public schools should simply opt their children out of public schools and pay to send them to private school.
Ten minutes earlier, Weingarten tweeted that “parents are our partners.”
The American Federation of Teachers (AFT), one of the largest teachers unions in the U.S., did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.
Schools boards have become a political battleground over the last two years as schools responded to the COVID-19 pandemic, created policies for transgender students, and proposed curricula related gender, sexuality, and race.
Former President Barack Obama waded into the Virginia gubernatorial race Saturday, calling parental concerns about education “phony, trumped-up culture wars.” The Loudoun County Public Schools board in Virginia was recently accused of covering up an alleged rape of a female student in a girls’ bathroom before passing a district-wide policy allowing students to use bathrooms based on gender identity.
- Bucs Dominate And Still Feel They Can Play Better
- Two Florida Teachers Arrested After Drinking, Entering Wrong Home And Shooting Man
- Frontier Airlines Denies Boarding For Florida Family Taking Child To Boston For Medical Care Over Mask
- Florida Senator Claims Surgeon General Ignored Mask Request, But Huddles With Democrats While Maskless
- Walmart Goes “Woke” Pushing CRT, Telling White Cashiers And Shelf-Stockers That They Are The Privileged Members Of ‘White Supremacy System’
Android Users, Click Here To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. It’s Free And Coming To Apple Users Soon