The Tampa division of the Florida Highway Patrol shared a photo and a brief statement on social media Tuesday highlighting their interception of what they described as “another human smuggling attempt” on I-75.
Human smuggling is the illegal and often clandestine transportation of individuals across international borders, typically for financial gain.
Smugglers often use deception and coercion to transport their victims, and they often put them at risk of harm.
Human smuggling is a serious crime that can have devastating consequences for victims. Victims of human smuggling may be exploited in the sex trade, forced labor, or other forms of forced labor. They may also be subjected to violence, abuse, and neglect.
This is a global problem, but it is particularly prevalent in the United States. In 2020, the United States Department of Homeland Security reported that over 100,000 people were smuggled into the country.
In the news: 4 Suspects In Texas Indicted In Money Laundering, Human Smuggling Network
There are a number of things that can be done to combat human smuggling. These include:
- Increasing public awareness of human smuggling
- Strengthening border security
- Prosecuting human smugglers
- Providing assistance to victims of human smuggling
If you believe that you or someone you know is a victim of human smuggling, please contact the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 1-888-373-7888. You can also contact the police or the FBI.
Here are some of the signs that someone may be a victim of human smuggling:
- They are being transported across borders without legal documentation.
- They are being forced to pay high fees for transportation.
- They are being deceived about the terms of their travel.
- They are being subjected to violence, abuse, or neglect.
- They are not allowed to leave the place where they are being held.
If you see any of these signs, please report it to the National Human Trafficking Hotline. You can also report it to the police or to the FBI.
While both human trafficking and human smuggling involve the movement of people across borders, they have distinct characteristics and motivations.
We can’t do this without your help; visit our GiveSendGo page and donate any dollar amount; every penny helps